Monday, July 30, 2018

The Week of WIPs

I don't think people believed, that I was going to take it easy this past week. But that is exactly what I did! Partly, it was an unwilling decision. But any way that you look at it...I took it easy.

In all reality, I didn't do much crocheting. I did a TON of sleeping. And not by choice. Because I literally, couldn't do anything else. And then, I tackled these dreaded 4 bags. Of Yarn Barf...

If you're not familiar, that is when all your yarn gets tangled up. Pretty much, I started with one bag. Who knows when. And I stuffed all my WIPs in it. I thought I'd quickly go back. Instead that HUGE reusable bag from JoAnn's...soon was met with a second bag. Then they got put in the closet. Where they'd fall. And I just shove everything back inside. Not really paying attention, to the mess that was happening. 

Eventually, it grew to 4 bags. With yarn tangled everywhere! One skein of yarn, was literally tangled in and out of all the handles...of those 4 bags! It took me 3 days, off and on, to untangle everyone. I rolled the yarn into balls. Made 1 bag of WIPs. And got to work.

I didn't seem to finish many projects this week. Honestly, only one got done. But I've managed to find a bunch of pieces to projects. 3 WIP blankets. And I started to work on some potholders and coasters. Which are needed at this time! Our supply is way down!

My Mom managed to stay motivated. And worked through all my naps. She is back into sewing. And spent a better part of her week, cutting out aprons, hats, and toys. She likes to do all the cutting. Then all the sewing. Eventually ending, in a day of putting everything together.

And as always, there are items that we worked on. But didn't quite finish. So they will be saved for another day. Hopefully next week. Until then, let's take a look at what actually made it to our stash!


Technically, this never made it to our stash. Nor was it intended to. This bag, I started it last week. I was making it for my Sister Jai. For her birthday. And when she unexpectedly couldn't make it to her Birthday BBQ...I didn't finish the bag. But I managed to finish it last Monday night. After a 12 hour nap!

I think my sister, is the only person that doesn't have a favorite color. So I let my Mom pick out the yarn. And I made my regular Market Bag. The yarn is a Caron yarn. The large skeins. I think it's 14oz. And I'm not sure of the actual color. I think I tossed the label, before I could write it down.

Two things about this yarn. One I LOVE this particular color! I want to make a blanket out of it. I think a baby blanket would be a nice addition to our stash. And I'd like to make a larger blanket, for our upcoming Love For Blue Fundraiser. It's just a nice mix of blues and browns.

Second, most of the Caron One Pounder yarn...is really thick! And kind of stiff. Perfect I found, for making these Market Bags. And winter blankets. Oh, and hats and scarves. But the variegated yarn, is softer. Much softer! And has a nice feel, in your hand. You get 2oz less, than the normal One Pound. But it's soft. And a little thinner. In my opinion, this would make the most perfect blankets! I've made 2 blankets, with other colorways. And they sold the day I put them out. I had another one, that I was working on...and it sold before I finished it. Too bad I can't find that color anymore...

We gave my sister her gifts yesterday. And immediately, I realized that I should have made the straps longer. I mean, they are the same as all the other bags...that I've made. But my sister likes to wear her bags, across her body. So I should have made those handles a little longer. But she still liked it. I think she's going to use it for a Yoga Bag.


3 years ago, when we started selling at the Growers' Markets, my Mom had a stash of these blankets. These are her Go-To, for Baby Shower Gifts. And they've become a staple in our little TCH Shop. So much so, we ran out! The first full day, that my Mom was on her vacation.

So while she was beach side, in Cali, she worked on this blanket. And she ended up, finishing it, early last week. We have a yellow one in the stash. But that is it folks! Grab it, while we got it.

Because we recently ran into an issue. Walmart stopped selling many of the Baby Bernat colors. Pink, blue, yellow, white, and some variegated colors are available. But the green, lavender, and peach...we're struggling to find them. We managed to find a skein of lavender and one of peach...in a sale. But haven't had any other luck. And we've checked every craft, hobby, and yarn store around...


Like I said, my Mom got back to sewing. She had cut out this hat...back in June. And had plans of making an entire outfit. Before she got sick. Then it went on the back burner. And 4th of July came and went...

But she finished this Sunhat. And I think it's so cute! It's a patriotic pup pattern. Now she's debating...should she sew the little outfit? I think so. But who knows, what will happen next.


My Mom was also trying to get some Super Hero stuff made. Before Sunday. Because it was Super Hero Day, at the Rail Yards Market. I mean, I also had plans of 3 Super Hero amigurumi toys too. I managed 3 capes...and all their arms and legs. That's as far as I got.

As you can see, my Mom managed a Superman hat. We already have an Avengers. We sold both of our Batman hats. And have 2 more cut out. Super Heroes are ALWAYS popular! So we'll continue to make them. As long as we can find the fabric. Because that's were things ALWAYS get sticky.

As for my toys, their parts are still waiting. In a bag. And I'm determined to get them finished up. I'm working on 2 Super Boys. And a Super Girl. And I have plans before football season begins. So be on the look out!


Blankets. Oh blankets! And oh MERMAIDS! We've made quite a few of these. In the last few months. And this has to be our most popular girl pattern. This season, we've easily sold 10. And my Mom made another 6. On Friday! Just in time for the DGM.


We also managed 4 of these sweet "I Love My Daddy, I Love My Mommy" blankets. I realized that we don't have any...in the boy color scheme. And for whatever reason, it's not a fabric that we buy. Regularly. But we should. There seems to be a "Boy Rush" this year. And we need more boy items.


This is our most popular boy print. The "Rock Monster." Same story as the Mermaids. We added 4 more of these blankets to the stash. Because...ya know! There seems to be a buncha boys being born...


To me, this fabric speaks...All things boys! We bought it back in January. And hadn't done anything with it. We only had enough for 2 blankets. But I see this, as being one of those popular ones. I think it's super cute!


Lastly, these coasters. Remember when I told you, I found a bunch of stuff...mixed with my Yarn Barf. Well, I have a stack of coasters. And of potholder pieces. I've been trying to find the entire set...so I can finish them. I keep finding 3 potholders, 2 coasters, or the pieces...and not the yarn.

That's what happened here. I found these 4 coasters. Just waiting on me. All I had to do, was hide the ends! I know. But I managed that Saturday morning. While sitting at the DGM.

Now to tackle the 3 blankets I found. The stacks of heart purses. And all those coasters and potholders. Ugh! If I could just find the entire set. It would make life so much easier...

Between, I've also started some other projects. Like another baby blanket. Using a variegated yarn by Caron. In a baby print. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the name of the color. But I LOVE the way it's looking!

Oh, and I have those toys I started. Along with another mermaid. And some more potholders. What's with me and potholders? I managed to crochet the sides of a lot of the heart purses together. And to crochet around the handles. I just need to actually sew the handle to the purse.

I'm giving myself 2 weeks, to tackle this HUGE bag of WIPs! There are so many good things in there. Including a Sugar Skull scarf. That I just need to hide, a million ends. And those blankets...I really need to finish them. For our stash.

Lastly, I have this growing list of items, that I want to make. From toys, to blankets, to hats, dolls, and baby sets. I recently started Pattern Testing again. Which makes me so excited! And I found a really cool serious of amis on Insta. 100 minis. That I'm just waiting to go on sale. I've been LOVING all the pics, that the designer keeps sharing.

My Mom also has a pretty lengthy list of projects. She's got so many aprons cut out. As well as sunhats and bonnets. Raggedy Ann and Andy sets...are slowly coming together. Toys are being sewn...and just need to be stuffed. Lala Loopsy Dolls, are slowly coming together. I keep finding pig's ears, frog's legs, and duck parts...in our couch. Oh...and I may have started working on some rag dolls. And dish towel sets!

So that's it, for this week. Time for me to go rest. And get some crocheting done. I really want to have a good amount of items next week. And have a pretty high goal, set for August 11th...when we return to the Growers' Markets! Happy Monday! 💕

No comments: