Friday, August 18, 2017

Do You Want To Learn How To Crochet?

Have you ever wanted to learn how to crochet? Every week, I get at least 10 people asking me to teach them. It's not a new thing for me. I've taught a few family members. A group of friends. And a class...or three.


And about 10 years ago...I taught my first class. 12 of my besties. We'd meet every other week. At Barnes and Noble. They'd order coffee. And get me a brownie. We'd hangout for a couple of hours. And after a few months, my friends had each made a blanket.

Recently, I've had a few family members who are also interested. And a ton of our customers. So I thought, why not another class? That's right! A crochet class. Let's talk about the details...

Ideally, I'd like met twice a month. Somewhere not too far from my house. Where we can be comfortable. Since I'm opening this up to the public, our home is out of the question. Sorry folks. And when I think about the surrounding area...I'm a little stumped. There's not a lot to pick from. Back when I was in college, the Barnes and Noble/Starbucks was minutes from me.

So I'm thinking, the Unser Library. If that doesn't work...Dion's on Coors and Central. These locations seem to be more central, to the people I know...who are interested. We'll be meeting on the last Tuesday of every month. Starting in August. Due to some other commitments, I won't be able to do 2 classes a month, until October.

I've also had some interest in a weekend class. So how about we starting thinking about that. I'm going to say, we'll aim for late September. Probably on a Sunday afternoon. Possibly the last weekend of the month. Weekends are tough for us. Being that we sell at the Downtown Market weekly. And then at the Railyards, from time to time. The off season gets more complicated, with Holiday shows.


As far as supplies, you need to provide your own. I would recommend buying a skein of your favorite Red Heart Super Saver Yarn. Maybe even 2 different colors. Keep in mind, dark colors are a little more challenging to work with. Black yarn, makes seeing your stitches a little difficult. And as much as you may want to try a soft yarn, or something more fancy, it's a challenge when you are first learning.


When we talk about crochet hooks, I'd suggest buying Boys crochet hooks. More specifically this set of 3. That include the size G, H, and I. One hook is about $3, at Wal-Mart. And the set of 3 is $6. These 3 sizes are the most common. So if you have them, you'll be able to make so many different things.

The cost of this class, is free. Other than, about the $10 that you'll spend on supplies. But if you want to bring something...well I'll never turn down an iced tea, dark chocolate, a gallon of gas, something yummy to eat, or a fun pair of socks. Heck, I'd be excited with a skein of yarn. But don't feel like you're obligated. Heck, your spare change will make me smile. And so will your smile! :)

Our first class will be on August 29, 2017. At 7PM. Just make sure to bring your yarn and crochet hook. In the next few days, I'll have a post. With a few projects to vote on. I'm excited to share my favorite craft, with all of you!

No comments: