Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Behind the Scenes: Part 1

Behind the Scenes so much goes on. Behind every business, it's the same. My parents owned a business for 45 years. I worked for a friend, who also owned his own business. So much goes on. And rarely, do you let the outside...in.

But today I am. Partly because I feel like our customers deserve an explanation. Partly because I'm sad. Partly because I'm upset. We were declined as DGM vendors today. No explanation. I tried to email with the management. Y'all we've been doing this for over 5 years! In fact, our little business is about to turn 20! I got nothing.

I wouldn't be so sad, if it wasn't for our customers. Guys when I say we have the BEST customers, I mean it! They're so supportive, encouraging, and fun to be around. The kiddos are the absolute BEST! They give me all my best ideas. I enjoy sitting on the ground, to play. We just have a great time. Every Saturday morning, I have a group of kiddos who come to visit me. I love watching the little babies...grow into kiddos. It's just a fun place to be.

And honestly, that is what the DGM was. A fun time. For 7 months out of the year, we got to hangout with friends. Friends that we met at the Market. Friends that we invited to the Market. Vendor friends.


About 2 years ago...things started to really change. Farmers started to be very disrespectful. There is a certain way the Market is run. Times when you can park and unload. On purpose farmers would go early. Park in our way, throw our stuff, and berate us. No one took us seriously. I mentioned this quite a few times to management...who told me they'd handle it.

Then we got "wait listed." I would probably have to say, because we spoke up. And every week, we were moved to a different location. Basically for 2 years, we'd have to email with the DGM team. They'd set us up. And we'd usually get scheduled about a month at a time. It wasn't horrible for us. But made it tough on our customers. The issues with the farmers got worse. Then we started having people report us. For not making our items. WHAT?!?!?!

That's all we do. My Mom is sick. With cancer. For weeks, we don't leave home unless it's for a doctor's appointment. Or I'm running out to pickup groceries. Crochet is our outlet. So to hear this, was very upsetting. Especially since, 95% of the time, we're crocheting at the DGM.

But we let it go. And we'd just sit and watch things at the Market. This is what upsets me. We have friends who are farmers. We vend next to farmers. We've helped farmers at their stands. Not everyone is bad. But I can tell you, for a Market that is ALWAYS trying to do things by the rules...they don't.

The dark side of the Market is...not everything is a OK. They have favorites. And openly show it. The rest of us...just have to deal. Farmers pay $5 a week. I think recently, in the last year or so, it went up to $10. Do you know they make thousands of dollars a week? I'm not lying! On a slow day at the Market, one of the smaller farmers who we vend next to, makes $8,000. In 4 hours! And they don't report all their sales...

Like I said, we've worked at those stands, we vend next to those stands, we see what happens. How is that fair to a Craft Business who has to pay $35 a week? They claim to be organic. I'm not saying every stand does this...but lots of them buy their produce else where. And resell. Whether it's other farmers...or the local big box store. Ever wonder why a certain farmer has perfect tomatoes in November? Just think about it...

You also have the prepared food stands and ready to eat foods. They pay $20 a week. Don't tell me that the bakery isn't making money. And they pay less than a crafter? It shocked me...that many vendors didn't know this. How?

Then you have vendors who don't show up. Or they're chronically 2 hours late. Or they leave early...because it's a slow day. There are vendors who don't report sales. Or those who work the system to chronically pay late. They park in customer parking. Show up on days they haven't paid...and aren't scheduled. But find a place to squeeze into. And the management turns a blind eye.

I've seen farmers refuse to accept DGM coins. That all of us have to accept. It's part of the rules that we sign before the season begins. And there are taco stands that accept WIC checks and SNAP coins. They clearly know they're not supposed to. Then you see them trading with farmers...who can accept them.

We all have to have a business license. Wait for it...except the Farmers. They're not required to. This year, all the vendors are required to have insurance. We're all supposed to not be using single use bags. You know what...people still do.

It shocks me, that I show up 3 hours before the Market opens. To set up on time. To make sure, I'm not in anyone's way. And I'm there, 2-3 hours after the Market closes. You know what, our management isn't. They're there to setup their stuff about an hour before. And leave almost as soon as the Market closes. In an area, that isn't the safest. How does that make you feel? I'm lucky to have friends...who are usually there as well. So I don't feel like I'll be robbed at any minute.

Then there is the way, that other vendors treat you. My Mom has been called an F#*!ing B*&$#^ more than once. By some of the most popular vendors and their staff. Why? Because she's walking too slow down the sidewalk. When? While the Market is on and she's shopping.

There have been vendors who push her. I had a guy try and throw some of our products in the trash. I've seen fights between vendors. Big fights. But no one ever says anything. That's upsetting.

So while, we're not going to be at the DGM this year...I'm not sure if I'll be applying in the future. As much as I enjoy interacting with our customers...the other stuff starts to tear you down. And I'm not sure I'm OK with that. Feeling unsafe and being treated a certain way. It's not the best way to run a business. Tomorrow I'll be back with some more. I need to talk to some of my vendor friends. ðŸ’•

No comments: