Friday, January 5, 2018

CAL #1: Sweet November Shawl

Happy Friday! And happy CAL#1 of 2018!!! I'm so excited to start the year, with our CALs. 


I got a bunch of emails and PMs, via Facebook. Regarding the speed of our CAL. So I'm going to make a few adjustments. And we'll work this shawl, in 2 weeks. Instead of 3. 

First up, our supplies. I've made this a million times. To be honest, this week I've made 3. One to get pictures of. The other 2, because I'm starting to stock pile our stash. :) 

You will need a size J crochet hook. For the life of me, I could not find mine. So I did what any other crafter would do. I dug in my stash, for 3 hours. Gave up. And pulled out a K. To be honest, I liked it more. I also found that I needed about 8 oz of yarn, to complete this project. 


I used this Mainstays yarn. And I also used some Big Twist. Both required just over a skein of yarn. Where exactly did I run out? Putting fringe on the last third of the shawl. Two quick things. I used a slightly larger hook. And instead of putting 2 strands of yarn, for the fringe...I put 3. Oh, I also added another row. I have this weird thing about the way this pattern ends. So I work 45 rows..instead of the 44 that it calls for. 

If you follow the pattern, and have a similar gauge, to the pattern...I'd say one 7oz skein will be more than enough. I'm always cautious...and buy 2 skeins. You just never know!

As far as the pattern, this week we are working rows 1-25. And before anyone gets too nervous about the pattern...let me say something. It's basically a double crochet, chain 1, all the way across. You work in the chain 1 spaces. And at either end, you make an increase. Simple. The wording of the pattern can be a little tricky. But it really is easy! 


This was my Sweet November Shawl. Rows 1-25 done. I sat and worked on this, during A Hallmark movie. If I'm not mistaken, it took me about 30-45 minutes. I'm not sure. I had the entire SNS worked, with fringe, by the end of the movie. It really does work up fast!

Lastly, don't forget about our Facebook CAL Group. If you have questions, and are on FB, go there. It will be faster for me to answer. And I encourage everyone to post pictures of their work. Happy Friday!!! ๐Ÿ’•

No comments: